- What do regulators need to do differently to tackle the needs of poor consumers?
- What should regulators do to meet social objectives set by policy-makers?
- Should social objectives be met through funds obtained at the national level and allocated to meet the objectives in each sector and region?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of creating dedicated agencies or « funds » to support the development of infrastructure services in rural areas? How should the regulator relate to such funds?
- Are successful programs for peri-urban areas appropriate for rural areas?
- Do higher income customers benefit more from subsidies than do poorer customers?
- How can a regulator promote investment while keeping service prices affordable?
- What procedures should the regulator adopt in order to balance economic and social objectives (like efficiency vs. fairness)?
- What are the strength and limitations of lifeline rates?
- When and why would the regulator choose not to regulate the price structure, leaving the task to the operating company?
- In an industry where an aging network and generation capacity constraints lead to poor service delivery, to what extent should consumers contribute towards capital expansion?
- Since rates in the water sector seldom reflect full cost recovery, how can you convince citizens to accept higher prices (given their willingness to pay)?
- What should be the involvement and mandate of the energy regulator in connection with promotion of Renewable Energy and what are the main challenges associated from a regulatory perspective?
- What should be the involvement and mandate of the energy regulator in connection with promotion of Energy Efficiency and what are the main challenges associated from a regulatory perspective?
- What is the best choice of regulatory instruments/tools for Renewable Energy promotion based on efficiency and effectiveness of reaching policy targets (FiT versus Green Certificates versus Central Procurement and others)?
- What is the best choice of regulatory instruments/tools for Energy Efficiency promotion based on efficiency and effectiveness of reaching policy targets? (Energy Efficiency Certificates versus Central Procurement and others)
- If a government decides to consider feed-in tariffs (FITs) as a tool to promote distributed generation via renewable energy, what are the regulatory steps that should be taken to these implement rules?
- If the government decides to use Power Purchase Agreements as a tool to obtain renewable energy, what are the features of PPAs that must be monitored by regulators, and the steps that should be taken to promote transparency and cost effectiveness?
- How have countries linked policy-making related to energy efficiency to regulatory functions?
- What are the regulatory issues presented by renewable technologies (solar, wind, biomass, geothermal, and hydropower) and what are the basic characteristics of these options?